Gary has been employed in the judicial system as a law enforcement officer for the past 28 years. Currently working as a Detective supervising a team of investigators in the Criminal Investigations Bureau. He and his wife Donna have been residents of Barrie and Ward 7 for the past 19 years. Over this time they have seen farm fields turn into subdivisions and plazas. They have two daughters that were both born here in Barrie at the Royal Victoria Hospital and are competitive dancers at a dance studio that is also here in Ward 7.
Gary’s community focus and volunteerism began at a young age after being a co-op student with the Canadian Red Cross. Upon completing his co-op he continued to volunteer with the Red Cross as a first aid instructor teaching scout and guide group’s first aid at no cost. Gary also refereed minor hockey for 15 years prior to making the move to Barrie to start a family.
Since 2010, Gary has also served on the Board of Directors for the Ontario Association of Crime Stoppers which provides oversight and guidance to the 38 Crime Stoppers programs across Ontario. While on this volunteer not-for-profit Board of Directors he has Co-Chaired the Technology Committee, been an active member of the Training and Education Committee and assisted in the creation of the organizations business plan. This past October he played an integral part of the organizing committee when they hosted the world for the 26th Annual Crime Stoppers International Conference. Gary has also been the Co-Chair and Treasurer for the Tour de Tips bicycle ride fundraiser in support of Crime Stoppers programs in Ontario.
With his extensive and long term roots here in Ward 7 Gary best represents you and your concerns at City Hall. As your Councillor Gary will return your phone calls and e-mails in a timely manner, always looking out for our best interests here in Ward 7. Gary looks forward to meeting you during the campaign.
What sets Gary aside from the rest?
- unlike other candidates he is a 19 year resident of Ward 7 with long term roots in the community and Ward 7 thus the slogan; From Ward 7, For Ward 7
- committed to responsible spending and keeping our property tax increases to a minimum
- major decisions will involve public consultation as these decisions impact you just as much they do him, as a fellow Ward 7 resident
- a history of balanced budgets as a member of several not-for-profit Board of Directors
- Community Safety, 28 plus years of experience in the judicial system and law enforcement
- with a law enforcement background he is a problem solver that is ready to listen and act on your concerns within the ward
- CMMII designated as a Certified Municipal Manager by the Ontario Municipal Management Institute
- Incident Management System (IMS 200) certified through Emergency Management Ontario
- as a long-time resident of Ward 7 he has seen the ward grow and as a fellow Ward 7 resident, shares your concerns and wants to see it grow effectively and efficiently, while remaining on budget.
Together we can build a better Barrie.
- Ontario Municipal Management Institute - CMMII Certified Municipal Manager
- University of Toronto Rotman School of Management, MBA Essentials Program
- University of Guelph-Humber, Justice Studies
- Humber College, Police Foundations Leadership
- Emergency Management Ontario IMS 100 and IMS 200 Certified
- Ontario Police College
- Canadian Police College